Saturday, September 10, 2011

Technique Feature: Double Embossing

Double Embossing or Embossed Embossing is a technique that uses both heat embossing and dry embossing.    I recently ran across this technique and challenged Erin, Kerri, and Aymee to join me in trying it out.  We tried it out in a couple different ways.  


The first way we tried it was to heat emboss first and then dry emboss.
For my card I used silver pigment ink and sprinkled it with black embossing powder.  I then heated the embossing powder and ran it through my cuttlebug machine to get the diamond dry embossed design.  I sanded it a little bit to bring out the silver.   I was going for a classy look and it turned out to look very Halloweeny to me...so I went that direction instead.


Aymee used the same technique but used a clear Versamark pad.  Her color choices really make that cute Momenta sticker pop right off the card.

Kerri played around using different types of cardstock for this technique and found that her two favorites were  Bazzil solid cardstock (since you could actually tell that she  heat embossed over dark green cardstock), and the more subtle Core'dinations color core cardstock for the exact opposite reason (you couldn't tell that she heat embossed over color cardstock).

The second way to do it is to dry emboss first and then heat emboss.  
Erin added Top Boss ink to the raised areas, and then added the embossing powder and heat. This left open areas of paper that she was able to mist and ink. you can't even tell she used a patterned paper underneath!

-Christine

3 comments:

Teresa Jaye said...

COOL! Never even thought of this, can't wait to try it out!

Kristie Maynard said...

What cool techniques with a different result. I'll have to remember that and try it!

Julie K. said...

Oh wow, I never thought of this technique either, and I consider myself pretty good in home-made stuff. Thanks for the tip, I guess I know what I am doing tonight, haha.