Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Thanksgiving platter turned wall decor


I'm seriously loving fall in the midwest this year! My oldest is almost five and is asking questions about leaves changing colors, the cooler weather, etc. as only a child can which has lead to some simple seasonal discussions. It also inspired my project for today.


I wanted something that could be interchanged based on our seasonal discussions, and maybe even saved for future use. There's twine threaded through the platter's handles and then a piece of corrugated cardstock is glued onto them. I'm planning to just trim off the twine and save the centerpiece and pinecones for next year. New twine (or maybe some shimmery yarn?) and this piece is almost ready for winter. 


Decorating the platter was easy enough once the twine and cardstock were in place. A little inking on some chipboard letters and floral department leaves and I was almost done! My favorite part of the entire project is the 3D pinecones. I'd cut them using my Silhouette Cameo for a since discarded project, but they worked perfectly as embellishments on this little home decor piece. How cute are they?! I am so glad that I saved them. They were fairly easy to assemble too, once I found this tutorial on the Silhouette Blog. 

Thanks for stopping by, Jessica

2 comments:

Rhonda Emery said...

this is really awesome. hugs

Contagiously Crafty said...

Paper pinecones?! I didn't think so when I saw that sneak over at your blog. What a fabulous fall decor item. I'm imagining what you'll do next for winter/Christmas...