Saturday, July 10, 2010

What can you make with a COASTER? (a little tutorial)

Hi All,

How about a lovely little hostess gift, a birthday party craft project, a thank you for a teacher or just a little something for a friend who needs a pick me up. Well, with a couple cardboard coasters (you know... the ones you get at restaurants), some scrap paper, glue, a post-it notepad, a few embellishments and some o-wire, binder clips or ribbon you can make an adorable little notebook in no time flat. Seriously, this is the quickest, easiest project I have come across. Fifteen minutes.. start to finish! Here’s how to make this...


These are the materials I used but substitute anything you have in your stash...


I have some fairly heavy-weight blank coasters that I ordered a LONG time ago. If you are using some that are lighter weight, I would glue two together. Cut paper to size for the front and back of each coaster and glue them on with your favorite glue. The corners of my coasters are rounded so I used my corner chomper to round the paper...


Add the post-it notepad (I usually add a little tape to the back to adhere the post-it pad a little more securely)...


Then it is up to you how you want to bind the mini notebook. I used o-wire and the bind-it-all but if you don’t have one there are plenty of other options. I have used binder rings and ribbon too. Just use a hole punch to make your holes (be sure to line up the front and back cover...I know that sounds obvious...but I have made that mistake before!).


You can embellish the cover any way you want. There is really no limit to the design and style you can create for this mini notebook. It’s totally up to you...


Usually I add a pretty/fun pen or pencil, or set of markers, that I pick up at the dollar store. But I didn’t have one that matched this notebook, so I made one! This was super easy too...just a plain yellow pencil, some decorative paper tape and a pretty embellishment. I just wound the tape diagonally down the pencil and hot glued the butterfly to the top. Just that simple...


Thanks for checking out this little tutorial. I hope you give this project a try. Leave a comment and let us know! Have a fabulous weekend. ENJOY!

Pam

7 comments:

Angie A. said...

That is a great idea....I made mini abums for family from my daughters wedding....round ones look at the dollare store to find some too.
great job I love the colors..

Unknown said...

Great Idea!!!

Tish - GaMtnScrap said...

Your little mini notebook is so cute and such a great idea! Looks easy, too. I will have to make one of these for my scrappy friend who hosts our monthly crops, I bet she'd like and could use one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [10 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

D said...

Gorgeous notebook! So easy too :) Great tutorial!

Phillis Walrath said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn Borjeson said...

This is super cute - I alter coasters all the time and I love this idea! :)