Monday, November 28, 2011

November 28th-Mixed Media Canvas Wreath

Hi, Scrappers! Practical Scrapper Jayma here today with a mixed media project that will help you use up your scraps of Christmas scrapbook paper! Be sure to scroll all the way down for my video tutorial.

My goal for this project was lots of depth, which I achieved through layering.


I began with a 12" x 12"canvas that I painted green. I then stamped CTMH's Universal Backgrounds music notes stamp onto tissue paper using black StazOn ink to be sure it didn't bleed. I tore the edges of the tissue and used Mod Podge to seal it onto the canvas and let it dry overnight. I then filled a Spray Pen with 4 drops of Tulip re-inker, equal parts water, and 2 drops of Pearl Paint for shine. I sprayed this on the canvas for added texture.

For the wreath, I gathered all the scrapbook paper I wanted to use and cut it into different-width strips. (This project is a good way to use up your scraps—I used paper I've had in my stash for years.) I started making lots of accordian-fold flowers in different sizes and depths, then arranged them in layers onto the canvas. (See video below for tutorial on making the flowers.) I adhered all the flowers with hot glue. Be prepared to use A LOT of glue...it's hard to get them to lay exactly where you want them. :) I finished off the flowers with lots of sparkle: Bling buttons, Shimmer brads, and Rhinestone brads from Close to my Heart.


I cut the little pennants and letters from my Cricut using the Art Philosophy cartridge. To create the glitter surface, I mixed equal parts Mod Podge with Martha Stewart Sterling glitter and brushed it onto the paper. I did this 3 times, letting it dry between each layer. I used  a heat gun to help the drying along, which gave the pennant the wavy look I was going for. Since the glitter surface is slick, I used Liquid Glass, a strong adhesive, to adhere the letters. I believe Glossy Accents is similar.
Tada, the finished project!

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love for you to pop by my blog and say hi!

You can view my video tutorial below...




Pin It **Designer projects are not always linked in our posts, but you can always find their blogs in our sidebar or in the staff tab**

2 comments:

Crafty Loops said...

This is incredible. Lee x

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!