Monday, December 5, 2011

December 5th- Altered Paint Can


Practical Scrapper Julie Koets here to show you a creative way to package a small Christmas gift.  Start with an empty (and clean!) quart sized paint can.  I found mine at a local hardware store but have seen them at the big box home improvement stores as well.  Measure your can and cut cardstock to fit around it.  My can was just over 13 inches around, so I used two pieces, overlapping the paper just slightly and leaving one seam in the back and one seam directly in the front since it would be covered up anyway.  Apply a thin layer of ModPodge to your paint can using a foam brush and apply a thin layer on the back of the cardstock.  Adhere the cardstock to the can, smoothing out air bubbles as you go.  For the "fur" trim on Santa's suit, I cut a strip of quilt batting, but you could also use white felt instead.  I adhered the batting with a glue gun and added a "belt" made from black velvet ribbon.  I cut another piece of batting to fit the lid of the paint can and adhered it with ModPodge.  I embellished the lid with some trim, a tag, and some jingle bells.  Don't forget to include a paint can key so the lucky recipient can open their gift!  I was able to get the hardware store to throw in the key for free when I bought the paint can.  I embellished the key with more ribbon and another jingle bell. 

The quart size can is perfect for holding a gift card, packets of drink mix or tea, homemade snack mix, candies, or cookies.  The possibilities are endless and it's a great way to give a gift!  Kids and adults alike love prying open the lid to reveal the goodies inside.  Thanks for joining us at Practical Scrappers and stay tuned for even more holiday inspiration from our amazing design team!Pin It **Designer projects are not always linked in our posts, but you can always find their blogs in our sidebar or in the staff tab**

10 comments:

Judy said...

Julie what a great idea for last minute gifts!

AJU5's Mom said...

How cute! The Santa is cute, but I bet I could come up with ideas for other times of the year too :)

Amy Williams said...

I love it! Such a cute idea - and perfect for teacher gifts too...which I always need good ideas for!

Brittany M. said...

Adorable! I may have to give this a try for teacher gifts this year! Thanks for sharing!

Kristina MacKeen said...

Wow! Another great project by Julie! So creative. I love her work. This would be great for cookies too. I may have to do something like this for my girls.

Cristine said...

Cute project, Julie!

Marcie said...

I totally love this idea!!!! I have some empty paint cans upstairs just calling my name!! love it Julie!

Jen McD said...

Awesome project, Julie!

Kristie Maynard said...

That is just adorable!

Amber Sheaves said...

I love Julie's paint cans!