Friday, May 4, 2012

I love to use my scrappy supplies to make small altered objects to display around the house. One of my favorite projects is a small shadowbox I made a couple of years ago, using a little wooden box that I picked up at Michael's for about $1.
To start, I basecoated the wooden box with white paint, then sponged on a little bit of blue to give it a weathered look. I scanned & cropped an old photo of my son so it would fit inside one half of the box. I cut a piece of cardstock to fit inside the other half of the box, covered it with patterned paper and added a sticker quote. (I put the photo in the box lid because it's shallower and the paper/quote in the box bottom, which is deeper. Since the shadowbox is displayed on it's side, these just end up being the right and left sides.) I added some jute ribbon, some small seashells and a little bottle of sand (clear beads) to finish the shadowbox.
















I had another one of these wooden boxes in my stash, so I decided to use it for a mini shadowbox of my granddaughter, using a photo from Easter. I used some Crate Paper word stickers to make the word collage for the right side of the box. This time I painted the box pink and then sponged over all of it with white. I spread clear adhesive around the front edges of the box and covered it with chunky clear glitter. I added a ribbon and lace box, a couple of flowers and a chipboard heart as embellishments.


















These are so cute and easy to display because they don't take up much space, and the cost is minimal. I hope you're inspired to make your own mini shadowboxes!

**Designer projects are not always linked in our posts, but you can always find their blogs in our sidebar or in the staff tab**

1 comment:

Unknown said...

fabulous idea!!!!! love this!