Monday, November 26, 2012

Altered Photo Mailer

Hi all!  Practical Scrapper Leslii here with a fun and frugal holiday decoration.  I started this project with a blank photo mailer for which I paid $4.99 , a $.97 package of patterned paper, and cardstock.  

My first step was to cover each of the 5x7 sections with patterned paper.  I then attached a ribbon along the entire top edge of the mailer.  

My next step was to choose a word.  I knew I wanted something different, not the usual "Winter" or "Peace".  After brainstorming with a friend of mine, I settled on "Wonder".  

I knew I would have an extra section and thought it would be fun to make something more 3 dimensional and finally chose a rolled paper Christmas tree.


The tree was made with paper I had in my stash.  I first cut the paper into 2 inch strips and then cut each strip into sections starting with 1 inch for the top and then adding a 1/4 inch to each piece until I ended with a 4 inch piece.  I took each piece and rolled it length wise around a pencil and secured the curled paper with a few drops of clear glue. They were then adhered to the patterned paper using the same glue. Presents were added using cardstock scraps and bakers twine.


I cut the letters out with my Cricut Expression Machine and then used a makeup applicator to lightly ink the letters in green.  I then used the Cricut Machine to cut the letters again but this time with the shadow feature to make a matted layer for each letter. Each shadowed layer was distressed on the edges with blue ink again using a makeup applicator to get into all of the little angles.


I wanted each section to be different but look like the belong together.  As you can see the W, N, and E were all accented with an aqua colored paper that I embossed with my Cuttlebug and and sanded the edges.  The O, D, and R were highlighted with a lime green paper that I tore.

I also added gems here and there on all of the sections for a little extra glam.


I am quite happy with the final product and already have it on a shelf in my living room.  I plan to make a few more of these with different color combinations to give as inexpensive gifts this Christmas this year too.

No comments: