Dawn Rene here with you today to share this paper collage project. A couple months ago I was browsing in the bookstore and came across this book "Collage Couture: Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art" by Julie Nutting. The book teaches paper collage techniques - the collage subjects are woman wearing various fashion designs/dresses. It looked interesting, so I wanted to give it a try! I am not ready to draw the ladies yet, so I decided on a flower.
1. DRAW FLOWER: I traced a flower onto tracing paper. You can draw your own flower freehand as well. I selected this flower on a piece of Close to My Heart patterned paper.
2. DECORATE CANVAS BACKGROUND: Next I covered an 8" x 10" canvas using scraps of patterned papers and Mod Podge. I tried to select papers that were light and muted so they wouldn't compete with the main subject. Instead of using paper for the background, you can also cover the canvas with inks and/or paints. I used a couple stencils and paint to add texture on the canvas.
I don't have pictures for the next couple steps (sorry!)...
3. CUT OUT FLOWER PIECES: I took the flower outline on the tracing paper and cut out the pieces from various patterned papers. Each pencil line is a cut line. I started by laying down the outside petals first and then layering the inside petals on top. For the pieces on top, it is a good idea to leave a little clearance (cut outside the line) so part of the top piece can overlap the piece below to minimize the spaces in between the pieces.
4. ADD FINAL DETAILS: I stamped the letters with paint and added some line details with a white Faber-Castell Pitt Big Brush Artist Pen.
This is the final project! Not too bad for my first attempt. I look forward to doing more in the future. Have you created any paper collages recently? Share the link - we would love to see them!
* Canvas - Artist's Loft
* Patterned Paper - Close to My Heart
* Inks - Close to My Heart
* Marker - Faber-Castell Pitt Big Brush Artist Pen
* Mod Podge - Plaid