Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fussy Cutting To Add Detail

Hi everyone! Practical Scrapper Alison here with a fun way to add detail to your layouts without having to buy fancy (and expensive) stickers!
I love the look you can get from those multi-dimensional stickers many of the manufacturers offer but I'm a bit too cheap sometimes to shell out for a pack of 5 or 6 when I know I will only use one, maybe two of them. Can anyone else relate to that? I don't know how many partially used packets I have cluttering my craft space!!

Anyway, my friends over at S.W.A.T had a challenge recently to create a project using fussy cutting. (That's when you cut around an image in your paper to add it as an embellishment.) so I decided to create my own dimensional additions! I'd been playing with some Bella Blvd papers and they are great at providing whole 12x12 sheets of images for you to fussy cut. After cutting out a couple trees, LOTS of leaves, some clouds and a couple other images, I created this ...

That's my eldest daughter 5 years ago! When she looked at it she thought it was my youngest! LOL! I guess the sisterly resemblance is strong with my girls. Anyway, it took some time to cut each leaf and ink them all but the effect is SO worth it! I usually add a fair bit more to my layouts but this technique, when allowed to shine, is all you need sometimes.

Here are some close up shots of those fussy cut pieces. 
In my stash I also found these flair like stickers. The sun had words in it that I didn't want so they were perfectly covered by this leaf sticker.

This pumpkin came with a separate little leaf. While the pumpkin is popped up with dimensional adhesive, the leaf is just adhered flat to the page. That way it is more interesting to look at. 

The 'Pumpkin Patch' image was a free one from my friend Ashley Horton. Go HERE to grab your own. 

And last but not least, the tree. The one in the background is adhered flat to the page and then I popped the second one up with dimensional adhesive. Another of those flair stickers at the bottom completes this cluster.

Well, there you have it. I hope you try this on your next project. It's a great way to stretch your supplies and have more fun with your layouts. Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful Tuesday!

3 comments:

craftykellyj said...

Love this idea Alison. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rhonda Emery said...

super cute layout and what a cutie you have, tfs. hugs

Suman Pandit said...

Very lovely layout with lots of interesting ideas !!
http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/