Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Last Minute Gift Idea!


 Practical Scrapper Krissy Clark McKee here today, and I want to talk to you about Christmas gifts.  Specifically, I want to talk to you about that moment when your stomach sinks almost every year because you realize you forgot to get your favorite Aunt Betty (our Cousin Jim or Sorority Sister Susie) a gift.  And you know what that means - it means a two hour trip to the mall, and that's just to find a parking spot!  Well, I discovered this solution last Christmas, and I loved it so much, I am bringing it back this year. 
 
What is it?  Well, it's a cd case - really, that's it.  But if you just happen to have blank cds on hand (and we always do), it makes a wonderfully personal yet inexpensive homemade gift that your family and friends are sure to "ooh and ahh" over.  You can share favorite recipes, send a year's worth of family photos, or send along your favorite holiday songs to brighten someone's day.  And the best part is - you get to stay home in your pajama pants AND play with your craft supplies at the same time!  As an added bonus, cd cases are small and easy to mail.

This is how I made my gift cd case.  First, I cut my papers to the size of the front of the cd cover and simply glued them to the top of the case.  I did not glue them inside the cover because 1) I like to have a second piece of paper inside and 2) if the paper is on top of the case, it allows you the freedom to have more three dimensional covers, such as with this 3-D Christmas Tree, which is really a Silhouette cutting file designed by Lori Whitlock.  Lori makes excellant cutting files, and her website includes links to her YouTube tutorials (including one for this tree ornament), which are easy to understand and follow along.
I "decorated" my Christmas tree with baker's twine, a small tag, a jingle bell, and a star at the top.  I also used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out a large snowflake for the background, which I lightly covered with silver Stickles to give it a little sparkle.

Next, I covered the inside of my CD case.  Once again, I cut my paper to the size of the inside of the case.  I added a little glue to the back so it wouldn't come loose.  I kept it simple and included a small tag holder and tag that contains a handwritten note.  Alternate ideas include adding a play list, a table of contents, a photo, anything you want as long as it is relatively flat. 


And that's it - mission accomplished AND you managed to avoid the Christmas-traffic craziness!

**Designer projects are not always linked in our posts, but you can always find their blogs in our sidebar or in the staff tab**

1 comment:

Krisha said...

What a clever idea and it is soooo adorable. Thanks for sharing.