Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13th: Creating with Sketches

Happy Friday!  Practical Scrapper Krissy Clark McKee  here, and I'm here to talk with you today about my obsession with love of sketches.  For me, sketches are usually the perfect starting point when I am ready to create a layout.  In fact, I love them so much that I have recently begun creating my own, like this one.

And guess what?  Just as there is no wrong way to create a layout, there is no wrong way to interpret a sketch.  I like to keep my sketches somewhat plain and free of extra detail because it helps my imagination to run wild when I am using them.  I also find that I tend to use a sketch more than once when it has less detail because I have an easier time visualizing different things I can do with it.

I have a small notebook that I have started carrying around.  When I am stuck waiting in line or sitting down in the evening watching a little mindless t.v., I have begun pulling it out and doodling sketches in it.  Sometimes I recreate my doodled sketches and save them to my computer, like I did with this one.  I use Photoshop Elements to do this, and there are several tutorials online that quickly teach the basics for creating simple sketches using this program.

 Now, here is my layout that I created by using my sketch as a starting point:


As you can see, I cut several of my papers into different shapes than what is shown on the sketch, and I added a small overlapping banner in the top right corner. 

I also included and layered additional embellishments because...well...I love to create little clusters with pretty bits and pieces.


I did make sure I included the row of arrows from my sketch.  Of course, I also had to include some machine stitching and a few (artful) splatters of mist.


That's it for me!  I truly hope my sketch inspires you to use it to create your own unique layout or, better yet, I hope it inspires you to also try creating your own sketches. (P.S. - Let us know if you do use this sketch to create your own layout.  I am sure we would love to stop by your blog or gallery and admire your work!)

**Designer projects are not always linked in our posts, but you can always find their blogs in our sidebar or in the staff tab**

2 comments:

Lolô Artesanato said...

I love sketches too
great example
xx
Leila

Lanette said...

Love the Sketch and a great page too
!!!